December 6th, 2013
I love Chicago at any time of year, but I love it even more during the holidays. My family always enjoys coming to visit, and when they do they always stay at Essex Inn. The Inn is located in the Downtown Chicago area, near Grant Park, Soldier Field and Navy Pier, so it’s a conveniently located for them. It is also near the Theater district, which is home to Broadway in Chicago events at the Oriental Theatre, Broadway Playhouse, Bank of America Theatre, Cadillac Palace Theatre and the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University. Essex Inn also offers guests a free shuttle that goes to The Magnificent Mile, which is a great place for dining, shopping or visiting local attractions like John Hancock Observatory. If you’re a history or mystery buff, Chicago hosts bone-chilling ghost tours at Chicago Hauntings – where you can visit ghostly stops and Gangster prohibition era locales.
While staying at the Essex Inn this holiday season, be sure to enjoy the magic and festivities that is the holiday season has in store. Here are some of the holiday events taking place this season in and around Chicago:
- Start 2014 on the water! Sail with the Odyssey Cruises along the spectacular Chicago coast and enjoy our world-renowned skyline. The Odyssey offers a dinner menu, live entertainment and private seating.
- Winter WonderFest at Navy Pier is an annual family-friendly holiday event in Chicago! There are tons of different rides and attractions for the whole family to enjoy.
- Macy’s on State Street 2013 Great Tree Lighting & 46th Annual Animated Holiday Windows Revealed. Macy’s kicks off the holiday season with the annual Great Tree Lighting and immediately following the Tree Lighting, the kid’s department on level 5 will have holiday family fun while passersby can expect to once again be amazed with this year’s Macy’s window display.
- Beginning in early November, McCormick Tribune Plaza and Ice Rink will open for public sessions. Visitors can bring their skates or rent them for a only $10 to enjoy ice skating with the view of Chicago!
- Michigan Avenue – One of America’s great shopping streets, is at its best during the holiday season. There are not only holiday offers along the avenue, but it is always beautifully decorated with white lights and holiday décor!
- Christkindlmarket German Market. In the heart of Chicago, there’s a little bit of Germany! This open-air market has the look and feel of a little German village in the heart of Chicago – perfect for the whole family to do your holiday shopping or just to enjoy some traditional German Glühwein!
- Zoo Lights – The Lincoln Park Zoo is one of my favorite family fun activities. The entire zoo is decked out in holiday lights decorated to the hilt and there are lots of fun family activities. The best part is that it is free.
- The BMO Harris Bank Magnificent Mile Lights Festival always the Saturday before Thanksgiving, kicking off the holiday season! There is a full day of family friendly events, great holiday shopping along the Mile, the grand Tree Lighting Parade with Mickey & Minnie!
- Christmas Around the World- The Museum of Science & Industry decorates more than 50 trees each from a unique culture.
- The Nutcracker at the Joffrey Ballet is the most iconic holiday show – a sophisticated way to spend an evening!
- A Christmas Carol – A favorite Christmas story for many. The Goodman Theater always puts on a top-notch production.
- Tea at The Drake – A relaxing way to take a break from the frenetic pace of shopping on Michigan Avenue.
Chicago is a place for the whole family to enjoy while visiting, and few times are better than the holiday season. With so much to do and see, all you really need is the perfect accommodation! Essex Inn also offers free gift wrapping for all your holiday gifting needs!